1. Double Bill: A favorite to keep your head above water. While flying to a meeting in New York for one client, you summarize depositions for another client. Counting time getting to and from airports you can get a good 13 hours on this one – 8 hours of travel to Client 1 and 5 hours of depo review to Client 2. Of course this is unethical, but just try and catch me.
- Solution: Don’t allow travel time at all, or allow at a greatly reduced rate. That will incentivize your attorney to actually work on your case while flying.
2. Conferencing: Another fave, and if done with gusto, can really run up the tab – who needs the magic of compound interest when you can get 3 or more attorneys all discussing your case at the same time (and, of course, all the juicy office gossip). Example: Junior (at $200 per hour), Senior (at $350 per hour) and Named Partner (at $5:00 per hour) meet in NP’s office to discuss your case (and March Madness) for a half hour. You just got billed $525 and Duke still lost. Trust me, it is a grind at most firms and the attorneys wander the halls looking for these bill padders, uh, I mean strategy sessions. You can easily spend 1500 bucks a day while your team of attorneys discusses the NFL Draft, best happy hours, and fights over who gets to attend your next status conference in New York Federal Court (see #1 above).
- Solution: Don’t allow conferencing, or at a minimum, only allow one of your horses to bill for these multi-person conferences.
3. File Review:
Here are some suggestions for your first post.
- You can find new ideas for what to blog about by reading the Daily Post.
- Add PressThis to your browser. It creates a new blog post for you about any interesting page you read on the web.
- Make some changes to this page, and then hit preview on the right. You can always preview any post or edit it before you share it to the world.